Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tradition!...

Tradition!

So says Tevia.

I come from a background of tradition. For starters, I am Catholic. I defy you to show me a more traditionalistic Christian sect. Baptism, the Eucharist, confession, holy matrimony, last rites; all traditions or in this case sacraments handed down from generation to generation.

Perhaps the greatest time of the year for tradition is Christmas. Whether it be how you decorate the house and tree or how you open the presents on Christmas morning or what you eat traditionally for Christmas, traditions abound.

Tradition!...Tradition!

What makes a tradition? What is it that defines a tradition? Is it the act of buying a baptism outfit? Is it planning a big extravagant wedding? Is it buying the first suit? Of course not. Whether that baby is donned in gold cloth or naked as the day they were born the act of pouring the water over his or her precious little head is what marks the tradition. Would Kelly and I still be as married if we showed up at the church in shorts and t-shirts and before God vowed to love one another until death do us part? We would.

It's not the amounts spent leading up to the event. It's the event.

One of my favorite traditions in our family is Kris Kringle. Because our family is so big, the adults draw names so we just have one adult to buy for. The kids still get their allotted presents as it should be. Again, because our family is so big we don't buy presents for one another on birthdays, except children, so this is the one time of the year we actually exchange gifts.

I am only human so I love to receive presents but it is also fun to give them too. I seemed to get my dad about 10 years in a row. I have given him a wall hanging of UCLA buildings, it looks cooler than it sounds. I gave my brother a cigar lighter. I gave my sister in law a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt. All in separate years of course.

Tradition is the tie that binds. Whether it be a church a civilization or a family.

Tradition! Tradition!

We must strive to keep our balance.

Tradition! Tradition!

We are all Fiddlers on the Roof!

No comments: