Saturday, March 12, 2011

Almost 6 weeks...

without a solid bite of food. The closest thing I have had to food is a sugar free popsicle.

I can't believe I made it.

Starting Monday, I can have oatmeal, eggs, shaved deli meat, low fat cheese, ground lean beef etc. It's all down hill form here my friends.

I am walking a mile a day. Taking 21 minutes. Not bad for me. By the time the 5k Turkey Trot rolls around in November, I will be ready. My goal is to be able to run the 5k in about 36 minutes. If I can go faster, more power to me.

I don't know how much weight I have lost. I don't have a scale. I do know none of my pants fit me anymore and my t-shirt world has opened up considerably. Pants and shirts I haven't worn in years are coming out of the closet. One of my favorite shirts of all time, a Harlequins rugby shirt, came out of the closet last week. I hadn't been able to wear that shirt for 9 years. It felt really good.

I have to say I am at the point where everything I've gone through and the money I spent is absolutely worth it. My sugar levels have been below 100 since the surgery; from 89 to 97. My blood pressure has been 130 over 70. I am taking 2 pills instead of 6. And the 2 may go by the wayside too.

Feeling very good and starting to feel better about myself. Which is the main thing. Going through life not feeling good about yourself is a hard thing to live with. So much so that you start to take it out on other people.

I had a Barney Fife moment. Well I've had more than one but this is kind of a milestone. Ian had his first baseball practice this week. Now his first practice was not so good. He thought it was going to be him and I and his cousins going to practice. Well when he got there 14 kids were running around. It overwhelmed him a little, well alot, and he did not practice. He just sat on the sidelines. I was disappointed but I can't convey that to him.

We talked about it and he said he would play next time now that he knew what th deal was. And play he did; catching the ball, throwing, hitting, he did it all. He did extremely well for his first baseball practice ever. Insert BF face here.

At the end of the practice, the boys put their hands together and yell "Dodgers!" Well, he didn't like that too much. Way too loud. He started to cry. He then said he didn't want to play tball anymore. I told him he didn't have to do the cheer at the end of practice. He could do it from afar and he perked up after that. We are going to the field today to field some grounders and throw and bat a little.

Baby steps, Ian. Just like your old man.

2 comments:

Kar said...

Beautiful post. You're an inspiration as a friend and as a father. Keep it up John!!!

Mike and Kim said...

I see a day in the not so distant future when you and Ian WALK up to Turners on a Saturday morning just to browse...