Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Saw the Dr yesterday...

well actually his PA, regardless I am on the mend.

Staples were taken out. Ian was fascinated. He wasn't there of course but he realy liked looking at my staples. When I came home and they weren't there. He really thought that was cool.

I have lost a total of 30 lbs in about 4 weeks. Not too shabby.

Skin healing nicely. Stomach healing nicely. Barium slid through the banana like a luger. Next appointment is at the end of the month and I intend to be well into the 280s by then.

I met a fellow gastric sleever in the Drs office. Nice guy. Had the surgery the same day as I. Same Dr. Same hospital. Same day to get his stitches removed. We are pretty much on the same path. So you can imagine my surprise when he informed me he had already eaten a few little vegetables and had a small bite or two of brisket. I couldn't believe my ears.

The reason they tell you not to eat solid food is because regardless of how well you chew it, small particles could end up getting caught in the staple lining of the stomach and cause infection. If having a stomach lining infection is something I can avoid, I think I just as soon will.

I don't think that guy has read any literature. Something I can't be accused of. I know the dos and donts, ins and outs, rights and wrongs of this procedure backward and forward and I am following them to the letter. Call it a return on investment. Don't get me wrong I look forward to the day when I can have a piece of cheese or maybe a small helping of hamburger, sans bun of course, but I am not about to jeopardize what I've worked for to this point for that. Is eating a piece of brisket right now more important than walking my daughters down the aisle?

The answer is a resounding NO!

No comments: