Thursday, February 24, 2011

Home Again. Home Again...

as my mom would say.

I arrived at the hospital early Monday morning at 7:00. Bright eyed and bushy tailed. Ready, willing and able...Then proceeded to wait 3 hours until they finally called me back. Apparently some guy before me had a lot of scar tissue and he was a tough surgery. Knocked everythng back about 2 hours.

The first thing they did was weigh me. I was looking forward to that because I know where I started but had no clue how much I had lost on the liquid diet. They weighed me in kilograms. D'OH! I did the 2.2 conversion in my head but just gave me a rough estimate. Turns out I lost 23 lbs in those 2 1/2 weeks on the liquid. WOOHOO!

The guy came in to give me the IV. He asked where I have had my other IVs and I told him my hands. Blood taken, IVs all in my hands. He then proceeded to needle me in the forearm and poke around for what seemed 5 minutes. After not being able to find the vein, he put one in my hand. I asked him why he bothered to ask me where my IVs go when it was clear he had an agenda. He was very apologetic and we left on good terms.

Is it prejudice or racism when I say I prefer my Drs Asian-American? Dr Kim who performed my surgery as well as Nate Newtons by the way is Asian. He did a bang up job. I was his 8th surgery that day. In and out in 45 minutes. Took 75% of my stomach with him.

The day of surgery you can't drink anything. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. The first thing you get to drink is barium on day 2. 24 hours after surgery. Ever had barium? Nasty, Nasty stuff. And when I say nasty, think of me saying it as a home girl eyes wide open shifting my head back and forth across my shoulders.

Started to drink water and protein drinks on Tuesday. Felt a little nauseated after that I must say. Gradually though, my ounce filled cups have been going down easier and faster. I am right on track so all is well.

The treadmill is here. I have been on a few times. I am ready to burn out the motor. Baby steps though. Baby steps.

Liquids until Monday then eggs and cream soups. I can't wait.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

Kar said...

Baby steps indeed but ALL in the SAME direction......thinking of you everyday. XO