Saturday, February 5, 2011

It actually is getting easier...

thank the Good Lord Almighty.

It's amazing how seriously you entertain the thought of jeopardizing your longevity by eating a slice of pizza or a chicken wing. I keep telling myself one day I can have a bite of pizza or a chicken wing or even a cookie. I'll have that taste again. I just won't have half a pizza or 15 wings or 6 cookies.

I went to my Bariatric University class yesterday. That is simply the introduction class to what I will be going through. For those of you that don't know I will be having the gastric sleeve surgery. There are 3 types of weight loss surgery: 1. Gastric bypass - where they cut out most of the stomach and re-plumb you 2. Lap Band - where they tie a belt around your stomach and tighten it periodically and 3. Gastric sleeve - they make your stomach into the size of a banana cutting away about 75% of it. There is no re-plumbing and the vitamin absorption rate is normal.

If the classes objective was to scare the crap out of you, mission accomplished. There are a lot of rules and new habits to put in place. Most of it mental. But if that doesn't translate to the physical, you pretty much are relegated to a quivering vomiting mass of sugar-feee food stuffs.

I get the point.

This is a big step. No turning back. Non-reversible. All that doesn't matter to me anymore; extending my stay on this sacred wet-green one that we live on, is.

I went sledding with the kids yesterday on the one hill in Farmers Branch. Other dads were sliding down the hill with the kids. Not me. Too big. Mark my words; my kids will never have a day where their dad won't be able to sled with them down the hill.

Never.

2 comments:

Mike and Kim said...

Gaia

Anonymous said...

I had the sleeve almost a year ago and I've done really well. It is a big lifestyle change, but its been soooo worth it.

Good luck!

btw-there is a great sleeve community on FB :)