Monday, August 25, 2008

First day of school...

I have to say it didn't go very well. There was the inevitable nervousness which turned into fear and eventually crying. Pretty much the whole walk down: tears streaming. Begging, pleading for us to stay together. It was not a pretty scene at all.

Eventually, though, I pulled myself together and Madison was sent on her merry way ready to face head on the next chapter in her life.

I have a tendency to look at these events macro-cosmically while Kelly is more of a micro-cosmic person. For instance, yesterday I said to Madison:

"Do you realize, Madison, tomorrow you could meet a new girl who could be your friend for the rest of your life?"
"What, daddy?"
"You know! You could meet a girl tomorrow that you will know for the rest of your life."
"I've known Elisa from my other school my whole life. I didn't know her when I met her."

There I stood, crestfallen. All my grandiose ideas of how things might be shot down to earth with one swift stroke.

She's getting more like her mother everyday.

While I pondered the effects of Pythagoras on modern elementary schoolchildren, Kelly was more concerned with not having a flower for Madison's breakfast on her first day of school. In retrospect, this seems like a much more pragmatic way to spend the day. That's not to say the macro-cosmic philosophy and the pragmatic school of thought could not co-exist. Oh, heavens no. It just shows that when dealing with 5 year olds keep the Greeks out of it.

We thought Ian was going to be a basket case but he was almost perfect. One little outburst after Madison was dropped off but other than that he was very well behaved.

I forgot Chompy was even with us. We bought a two kiddie stroller for the walks down to school and we placed her in front. She didn't make a sound. Of course she fell out half way there but we picked her up on the way back. I'm kidding. We just left her at home while we dropped Madison off.

Another milestone reached and passed. There are alot of stones on that path. They always get bigger as they get closer but once they're upon you they don't look so big. Just a regular step to get over it. When you turn around to see where you've come from, the stones are actually small and eventually disappear.

No comments: