Friday, August 1, 2008

I love to cut the cheese...

and put it on crackers. (I know cheap humor. Eh, what are you gonna do?)

Cheese is one of the greatest inventions ever. God Bless the guy who stuck milk in that animal stomach first. Little did he know that through the process of turning milk into curds and whey, insert Little Miss Muffet jokes here, and the action of the natural acids and rhennet in the stomach he would produce a food source so yummy it would eventually generate over $20 billion and 14 million metric tons annually.

I have a great affinity for cheese. A good gouda. A swell swiss. A yummy Jarlsberg. It all just sings to me. There is nothing like taking a big hunk off a good smoked cheddar and downing it with a diet coke. Ambrosia. Luckily, my children have the same love of the stuff. They love swiss, smoked cheddar, american, which isn't a cheese per se but a processed food stuff that has the moniker of cheese. Yep, my kids love the stuff. But like I've drilled in their brain, "If it's a soft cheese, it ain't my cheese."

I bought some Jarlsberg the other day and gave some to Madison and Ian. They loved it. Jarlsberg is a close relative to swiss. It even has holes in it. I am trying to branch them out on the finer things. Madison loves the smell of cigars too by the way so she is on her way.

This whole story leads me to today. At dinner I had a salad with blue cheese. Not just the dressing but little chunks of blue cheese. Picture Mutley after he gets his little snack and he floats up in the air and gently floats down upon eating the greatest thing known to dog-dom. Pure bliss. Well, that's me. I could eat blue cheese wedges from Steak and Ale everyday for the rest of my life. That is if they just hadn't closed. Madison asks me what I'm eating. I tell her it's blue cheese. She says:

"Can I have some?"
"Sure. Take a little chunk."
She puts the cheese in her mouth and chews. The first words out of her mouth. "It tastes like shampoo."

I gave some to Ian and he loved it indicated by the shouting of "More!" until I gave him another piece.

My cheese philosophy can be summed up by this guy I met at an early age. He's from UCLA too, by the way.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I love the "you-tubes" that you find...

Tell Madison she's right - it DOES taste like shampoo.

You didn't mention provolone. Do you like it? Nothing fancy, but it has an ok taste as well.

(what?? steak-and-ale closed???)

katy said...

You're too funny. When do you have the time to find all these great clips?!!! Next, you gotta blog about teeth and put the yuck mouth guy on.