Monday, August 18, 2008

Gymnastics is not a sport...

how can a girl who lands on her knees on one of two vaults still get a bronze medal?

I don't believe something is a sport when the outcome is not in your hands. When judges determine the outcome, phooey.

If I run faster or swim faster or row faster or shoot straighter or paddle faster or score more points than the other guy, I win. Period. I don't want it to be determined by the Australian judge who grew up in a foster home with an American foster father who was mean to her throughout her adolescent years who now holds a grudge against all Americans.

Nope. Far too many variables for me. Nobody goes into these things with no bias. Whether it be a home crowd or a mean foster father something somewhere will effect their decision. Isn't it interesting how the Americans seem to get the short end of the stick? I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

Boxing is a good example. You KO your opponent and you leave no doubt. You leave it up to the judges and you're in deep doo doo.

Don't get me wrong I love the Olympics. I can't get enough. The opening ceremony was one of the most brilliant things I have ever seen. The swimming, beach volleyball, track and field. It's all good. It's just that when it comes to judges, I don't have much use for them.

Maybe they should hold the real Olympics and the judged Olympics. As an added bonus when the judged Olympics are over they can parade the judges out in front of the cameras and pants them.

1 comment:

Mike and Kim said...

That WAS the worst injustice to an athlete I've ever seen! They need to fix it!!! It made me sick! And tonight's judging of the uneven parallel bars wasn't much better!