Monday, December 22, 2008

The Christmas Song...

I never thought I'd hear myself say this but Nat King Cole's rendition of this Christmas classic is not my favorite version.

It's Mel Torme's. He wrote the song after all so I'm just giving him his due.

I really started to understand the complexity of Mel a few years back. I knew of him before and had heard his music but did not begin to appreciate his genius until my father-in-law gave me a CD of his a few years ago for Christmas.

The CD was called Jazz 'Round Midnight. Mel singing classic jazz vocal tunes. Every time I hear it I can see Mel and I, both of us in tuxes about to end our last set. Bow ties undone. Leaning on our stools. Ice clinking in our glasses. Cigars smoking in the ashtray. Just singing these last few songs for ourselves. The band, knowing the end of the night is near, gets a second wind. We go through "A Sleepin' Bee", "Moonlight in Vermont" and "How Did She Look?" as prologue to "Hello Young Lover's". Our signature song.

Only during the Christmas Season are people treated to the joy that is "The Christmas Song" as only Mel and I can do it. He takes the beginning I do the ending and we harmonize in between. Nat is in the audience to hear how it's done. I'm kidding. He's here but only to jam with us after the joint closes.

Which is just what we do. Mel Torme, Nat King Cole and John Pfaffenberger together again.

I was born in the wrong decade.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with Nat's version of "The Christmas Song". It was my favorite for many many years. It's just that when I heard Mel's I knew I was home.

I have both here to listen to and compare. You can make up your own mind.

No comments: