Friday, December 19, 2008

Here With Us...

It's hard for me to put into words the way this song touched me the first time I heard it. I was driving home from work; I had just pulled off the freeway onto the access road when it started.

It's still a mystery to me
That the hands of God could be so small
How Tiny fingers reaching in the night
Are the very hands that measured the sky


In my minds eye, I saw the Christ child. Newly born. I also saw my children since they are my blessings from God. I saw their hands reaching out. I saw tiny fingers. I realized their motions were not unlike those of the child described in the song; as I'm sure they truly were on that night 2000 years ago. This baby, with fingers so small and fragile, is actually the one true God who, with those hands, measured the sky.

It's still a mystery to me
How his infant eyes have seen the dawn of time
How his ears have heard an angel symphony
But still Mary has to rock her savior to sleep


The omnipotent, omniscient, all-knowing, all-powerful, Wonderful Counselor, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace and Mighty God put himself in a position of ultimate vulnerability. The same God who has seen the dawn of time put himself in a position where he could not even feed himself. For me.

Humbling.

It is almost one of those subjects that when focused on too much begin to really un-nerve you. Mine is eternity. The thought of being in heaven forever and ever and ever is something I just can't think about too much. I realize it will be utter and complete bliss and time will probably mean nothing but, right now, I only see it through the prism of humanity and all its frailties. And looking through that lens, it freaks me out a little.

Jesus the Christ
Born in Bethlehem
A baby born to save
To save the souls of man


Hallelujah!
Hallelujah!
Heaven's love reaching down to save the world
Hallelujah!
Hallelujah!
Son of God, Servant King
Here With Us


Ultimate Love.
Ultimate Vulnerability.
Ultimate Sacrifice.

"That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

2 comments:

Kerri said...

I remember singing this with you - and you're right.....AMAZING, POWERFUL song.

Mike and Kim said...

very cool post. i love when you let us in...