Thursday, February 26, 2009

Mardi Gras vs Lent...

What does it say about our society that the time of sheer debauchery before the sacrifice is much more known and celebrated than the sacrifice itself?

I am no prude by any stretch of the imagination but something about this turn of events bothers me. The forces that are hell-bent on removing the Christian God from the public forum have done a fabulous job in not only their goal but the degradation of society.

I don't decry the publicity Mardi Gras receives. I just wish the crucifixion and resurrection of our Lord received as much adulation.

I was watching a news cast several years ago and I can remember it like it was yesterday. It was in the spring:

Anchor:"Spring also marks a very important time for the world's major religions. The Jewish community celebrates Passover which is a celebration marking the exodus from Egypt. World Muslims celebrate the birth of the prophet Muhammad and Christians perform their annual Easter egg hunt."

...

I kid you not.

The most important event in the Chritian calendar boiled down to a pagan ritual once performed by Druids.

Here are two interesting stories about eggs and Easter:

A pious legend among followers of Eastern Christianity says that Mary Magdalene was bringing cooked eggs to share with the other women at the tomb of Jesus, and the eggs in her basket miraculously turned brilliant red when she saw the risen Christ.[1]

A different, but not necessarily conflicting, legend concerns Mary Magdalene's efforts to spread the Gospel. According to this tradition, after the Ascension of Jesus, Mary went to the Emperor of Rome and greeted him with “Christ has risen,” whereupon he pointed to an egg on his table and stated, “Christ has no more risen than that egg is red.” After making this statement it is said the egg immediately turned blood red. She then began preaching Christianity to him.

1 comment:

Mike and Kim said...

Totally agree with you here! I love this season....and I am AMAZED at how many Christians have no idea what Lent is, what "Fat Tuesday" is really all about, and that Ash Wednesday and Mardi Gras have any connection.

Frustrating too that I have to think about a question I was asked by my boss many years ago...."Do you guys have drive thrus for those ashes on your forehead..."

I loved the egg stories...I hadn't heard those before.