Thursday, February 19, 2009

My last flight...

was very crowded. Literally not an empty seat in the plane. As it began to fill up, I started to feel sorry for the poor schmuck stuck next to me. I was in the window seat and the guy in the aisle seat was tall. I used the old don't make eye contact with anyone and the seat may not fill up technique. Alas, it did not work. The guy who sat there was a good guy. We chuckled about the three of us in the same row.

The fact I mention here that he was an African American is important to the rest of the story. He mentioned he lived in Phoenix and the trip out to Chicago was made by 3 of his coworkers. Of the 3, he was the only one who had a layover; the other three had straight flights. I was thinking in my head, "You know it's because you're black." Of course, I didn't say that.

He pulled out a book by TD Jakes, the pastor of The Potters House church in Dallas. A very large African American congregation. He was surprised that I knew who he was. I mentioned he was a spiritual advisor to Obama for awhile, trying to make points with my new black buddy. He mentioned he was Bush's advisor for a while as well.

Later, I mentioned Obama again just making sure he knew I wasn't a racist.

As the flight progressed, I learned he was in the military for 20+ years. I learned he would do it again in a heartbeat. I learned he thinks torture is a necessary evil in war. And if water-boarding a terrorist saved my wife and children from being blown up at the mall, knock yourself out. I learned this guy is as conservative as I am. I learned he does not like politicians sticking their noses in the military.

I learned not to prejudge people. I would like to have this guy as a neighbor.

Too bad I didn't know him earlier. I think he would have cracked up at my it's-because-you're-black joke.

No comments: