Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Another weekend come and gone...

a good time had by all once again.

I love Fathers Day. If I've told one person I've told a million people, don't exaggerate...no that's not it...I was put on this earth to be a father. Yea, that's the ticket.

The one thing I love to do everyday is to put my kids to bed. Pulling up the blankets. Tucking them in. Knowing they are warm, safe and secure. Giving them a kiss good night and telling them I love them and they say it back to me.

It doesn't get any better than that.

No matter what happened that day; bad traffic, bad boss, bad meeting, whatever; your children running up to you when you come through the door at the end of the day, well, makes it all OK.

Unfortunately, there is no pill you can take to be a good dad. All you have are your experiences with your dad. The lessons he taught you. How he taught you those lessons.

The most vivid memories I have growing up are the vacations we used to take; Carpenteria, Yosemite, Bryce and Zion, Vancouver, Oregon etc. We spent a lot of time together the 7 of us. Shaped our whole lives.

I know that is why now it is very important to me for my family to vacation every year. These are the things the kids will remember. The beaches and the mountains. The time spent together.

Yep. I had a very good role model when I was a boy. Taught me what it was to be a man. I don't think it's a coincidence that my 3 brothers are excellent fathers.

We were all watching the same guy.

No comments: