Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pack mentality...

what's up with that?

I actually find it fascinating. Something that is 180 degrees from my nature some people find second nature.

Let me set the scene: I am eating lunch outside in a parking lot which faces the street. At least a football field long with two rows of spaces and one driving lane down the middle. I am at the far end of the lot which has no other cars in it. None. Just me. A guy pulls in from the other end and drives down to where I am and parks 2 spots away from me!

2!

There are probably 100 spots per row. A total of about 200 spots.

And he pulls into a spot 2 away from me!

2!

A month or so ago the family and I go to Sonic to get an ice cream or some such. There are two people in the place. One on one side and we are on the other. A third call pulls in and parks right next to us. I just look at Kelly and you can see in her eyes she is praying I don't say anything stupid.

I didn't.

That is until they rolled down their windows and started smoking.

Smoking!

We had to roll up our windows and drive off.

What is it with people? These are the same folks who sit in the stall next to you when the one farthest from you is free too. Total disregard for the "one empty stall between" rule.

I scope out a place and make sure there is room for me before I have to inconvenience someone. Sometimes you can't help it. There just is no other place. Because I am who I am I still get a little perterbed at that situation but I know there is nothing else that could be done.

However when I am sitting in a stall or parked in a spot or sitting in a movie theatre with oodles of space around me, don't sit or park next to me.

If I can be embarrasing in a parking lot, imagine what I can do in a stall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pack mentality drives me absolutely nuts, especially in parking lots. You nailed it. When morons park right next to you when there are other spots, that kills me. Or, when on a highway, the only other tard within a few hundred feet is pacing you, even if you slow down or speed up.

Sarah said...

You are a hoot! Got space issues huh? I find that people will often crowd you while they are in their car, but they usually leave you be if you are sitting somewhere like the DMV. People feel brave when they are surrounded by thousands of pounds of metal, but if you take the person out of that element-they are antsy wusses that do not want to sit next to you. Strange.