Friday, April 2, 2010

Here's a flashback for you...

WONDERAMA!

Remember that show? The snake in the can game. "What the heck is it?"

That was a great show.

The reason I remembered it this morning is because of my son. He came into my office this morning after waking up, without saying a word, raised his arms, not perpendicular to his body but at a 45 degree angle, and started rocking from side to side alternating feet as he went. Left foot, rock to the right, right foot, rock to the left, left foot and so on.

I thought of something I hadn't thought of in years. So I had no choice but to start singing.

You see, Harry Chapin was on Wonderama one Saturday morning many years ago and brought his son Josh. Harry explained that Josh liked to dance to his song "Cats in the Cradle" and he would do so now as Harry performed the song for us. Harry started in on his classic tune, "Well my child arrived the other day..." and Josh on cue began to dance. Without saying a word, raised his arms, not perpendicular to his body but at a 45 degree angle, and started rocking from side to side alternating feet as he went. Left foot, rock to the right, right foot, rock to the left, left foot and so on.

I sang the whole song for my son.

After which Ian came over and put his head on my chest and gave me a hug. He then walked out to explore the world.

Never saying a word.

He usually never lets me finish songs. He is always off into something else. But for some reason today, he even gave me a hug.

Pretty good way to start Good Friday.

3 comments:

Brian said...

That's a great memory thanks for sharing it.
Here is what I recall of that show.

Chapin said that that was Josh's dance and it works for any song. Just about everyone in the audience started doing it, along with Josh.

The other thing is that he sang a kid's song on Wonderama (perhaps he did it twice) that he never recorded called, "Stupid", it featured lines like, "My Grandma's just thirteen" and "The world is made of dynamite/That's almost right!"

Here is the chorus:
"Do you really wanna be dumb all your life,
Do you really wanna be stupid?
Someday your gonna marry a dumb old wife,
And then you;ll have yourself a dumb few kids!"

Unknown said...

Any chance you saved this video somewhere?? Would really really love to see it. I was on that show and I remember Josh's dance, think they called it the "monster ".
He also sang down on grandpa's farm and messed up all the animal noises. I got to do the "pig"

Lazy4Life said...

Thank you THANK YOU for confirming this foggy memory. My sister and I joked for years afterward about this dopey "dance" and we still do it from time to time just for laughs. Especially to songs that are completely opposite in style to something like "Cat's Cradle."