Monday, April 5, 2010

What is it about poeple...

when you tell them you are Catholic they feel it is their obligation to disparage the church?

I was at a clients on Thursday last week and somehow the topic of Good Friday came up. In the course of the conversation, I mentioned I am Catholic and as a boy the starkness of the altar on Good Friday was always a very powerful reminder to me of that day and what it meant. The next words out of her mouth were, "The Catholic church just seems to make up the rules as they go along so I don't know."

...

...

"I did mention I am Catholic, right?"
"Well yea, but..."
"But nothing. We probably don't need to talk about this anymore."

And she merrily went on her way.

Now, granted this woman has pink streaks in her hair and from what I surmise of her phone conversations with her son, she could give Mommie Dearest a run for her money. But still. Give it a rest.

Freak.

This is not the first time I have had a conversation like this. I have been told we worship Mary like the Christians worship God. Truly. I have been told we worship the Pope, the saints, 3 legged dogs. Well, worshipping the saints may be a stretch but I've heard some far out stuff.

My nephew Tod put a status on facebook about the Catholic church being the most recognized but most misunderstood sect in the world.

Amen, brutha!

No comments: