Saturday, April 3, 2010

I watched...

"The Passion of the Christ" last night. I don't know...I kind of feel obligated to do that. Not obligated in a you must pay your taxes kind of way. More like after watching a visual depiction of what went on 2000 years ago it's the least I can do for my Savior kind of a thing.

Two parts of that movie make me cry. The scene where Mary is flashing back to Jesus as a boy. He falls and she runs to him saying "I'm here.". Then she runs to the bloodied beaten Jesus and says "I'm here." Then he says, "See mother. I make all things new." I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Even in Jesus' unthinkable situation, it seems as though he is not only assuring her but also seeking her approval. I'm sure I am totally misinterpreting that scene but it sure sticks with me.

The other scene is when the criminal on Jesus' left asks for Jesus to remember him. Jesus promises him he will be with Jesus in paradise that same day. Can you imagine? Leading a life which got you to a point where people found it necessary to crucify you. While hanging on the cross, the Son of God promises you you will be in heaven with Him. How heavy was the stone lifted from that guys shoulders?

One thing I often think about today is how little there is written about the time between His death and His resurrection and what the apostles were going through.

Their Lord. Their Savior. Their Leader...was gone. Beaten beyond recognition, nailed to a cross and left to die. Which he did.

I presume from the fact that Mary and Mary Magdelene went to the tomb on the third day they had no clue he was going to be resurrected. Unless the guys knew and kept it from the girls. I doubt it.

How petrified would you be in this situation? How willing would you be to go preach his word? I think, nay, I know I would have been hiding as well.

How do you think they felt when he walked through that door?

No comments: