Saturday, April 17, 2010

iTunes...

Didn't realize how much I missed my iTouch until I was on the flight to Chicago. No tunes to pass the time.

Sitting now listening to Edie Brickell..."shove me into shallow water." Great song. Only one they had.

Perusing my play list and the one played the most is Vanessa Carlton "A Thousand Miles". Huh? Well, Madison had a bit to do with this. She loves this song and comes into my office and plays it over and over...and over. Like father like daughter.

I used to make my friends angry with the amount of times I would replay a song. One time we were partying at Darryl Huffman,s house, RIP. I played Duran Duran's "Save a Prayer" quite a bit that night and woowee they got sick of it. On my play list today it has been played a paltry 12 times. I still love the song though.

Surprisingly enough a Jellyfish song ranks as the most skipped. It was the last song on "Spilt Milk". Right after my favorite song on that album, "Too Much Too Little Too Late". Now there's a song I would rewind. There's a place where they go into 6 part harmony and I rewind it 6 times to sing every part. That is definitely a Mutley moment.

Pass the Dutchie on the left hand side...Hans plays with Dottie, Dottie plays with Jane...Sprawling on the fringes of the city in geometric order...Name those 3 songs if you dare? No googling.

Quite an ecclectic group of stuff I have in my list. From the mid 16th century to today. The mid 16th century stuff is Thomas Tallis. When the church of England broke form the Catholic church, King Henry commissioned this guy, among a few others, to write new music for the church.

And then there's DEVO. "Freedom of Choice" is an album that shaped my childhhod in more ways than one. Mark Mothersbaugh is still writing today. Most notably for the Rugrats. And imagine my surprise when the kids and I were watching Yo Gabba Gabba and lo and behold there was Mark doing a drawing segment on the show. Another cool band Squeeze has a connection to my kids. In one of the early shows they sing Fruit Salad (yummy yummy) and the chef in the skit is one of the founding members of Squeeze.

So, what songs shaped your teen years?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First is by musical youth, the song is pass the dutchie... second is games without frontiers by Peter Gabriel... third is Subdivisions by Rush. And no I didn't look it up, I just have that much useless info stored up in my noggin. Maybe not useless, but not tremendously important.
Steve

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.