Thursday, April 22, 2010

So I'm reading the paper...

Heck no, I didn't buy the paper. It was a freebie placed out to read while waitng for my haircut. But in this case I was waiting for a hamburger. I'm just trying to throw Kelly off my path....

Funny how now I have the same philosophy with regards to the paper as my dad did to Playboy and the like when I was younger. Let me explain. When we, my older brothers and I, were teenagers, my dad found a Playboy or somesuch in the attic. It was Mikes or mine. Paul didn't do that stuff. Good thing he didn't find the can of Skoal and the bottle of Boones farm too. I kid. So he took us aside and gave us the lecture about how this filth is not how we need to see women. It objectifies them and that is not being a man. Of course he knew boys would be boys and we would probably see this kind of magazine again so he said whatever you do don't pay for the stuff. Don't give your money to this industry.

I thought I was doing a very god job of this until I watched Cinemax at night. Holy Moley! Needless to say I canceled those channels. I canceled all the movie channels actually. HBO!?! What's up with that?

Where was I?...reading the paper...yes. I saw where Obama is repealing a Title IX loophole. It has been there a while. Title IX is the law which requires equity for sexes in college sports. You may remember years ago where universities were cutting mens programs to pay for new womens programs. That is Title IX. The part they changed was the colleges being able to use a survey to determine whether or not they would be subject to Title IX. Basically, asking the students their interst in the sports programs to gauge whether or not new womens programs are warranted. If the survey was not turned in, that would be determined as no interest.

Well, they took the survey away. Now, regardless of student interest, Title IX will be applied across the board. Biden in his infinite wisdom said this of the decision,"Making Title IX as strong as possible is a no-brainer...What we're doing here today will better ensure equal opportunity in athletics, and allowing women to realize their potential — so this nation can realize its potential."

So when does the Title IX for white guys go into effect? I've been told ad nauseum that African American children don't feel they can succeed because they have no role models to look up to...Oh yea? What about Clarence Thomas, Condoleeza Rice, JC Watts? Oh you mean liberal role models? I guess looking up to Charles Rengel, Jesse Jackson and The One would depress me too...Don't white youth have the "right" to feel lost too? I mean if you want to be a white professional athlete...good luck. Hockey yes. Baseball maybe. Basketball and football. Fugedaboutit.. If you have your little white heart set on being a cornerback in the NFL, you pretty much better apply for unemployment right now.

Artificially bolstering one aspect of society while breaking down another is not the way for this nation to realize its potential. How can you realize potential when the entire premise of said potential is skewed?

No comments: