Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!...

Talk about the law of unintended consequences. Little did I know the way I celebrated Mother's Day would be a point of contention in our marriage for years. Let me rephrase that, because of my ignorance I assumed, and you know what they say about people who assume, everyone celebrated Mother's Day the same way I did and when I found out that wasn't the case I handled it in my own tactful way, I made fun of those who did it differently. Namely my wife.

I'm a boob. I'm a big fat boob.

You see, I am of the ilk that you buy presents for your mother on mother's day. Kelly celebrates all mothers. Which of course is a perfectly legitimate way to do it. But me being, well, me, thought anything done differently is wrong not just different.

Looking back on it, man, I was a goof. Making such a mess out of something that is not that big of a deal. I still feel that Mother's day is for celebrating your mother not all mothers. But at least now Kelly can live with me

In the car on the way back from school Madison asked me if I had bought a present for mommy for mother's day. I said "No."

"Why not?"

"Because she's not my mommy. She's yours."

"Oh. That makes sense."

Chuckle. Chuckle. Can you say, indoctrination?

Having said all of that, I would be remiss if I didn't tell Kelly I...just interrupted by said wife telling me to quit being anti-social. I am writing this at her mother's house at which we are celebrating mother's day...thank God every day that she is the mother of my children. I am truly blessed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

On Mother’s Day you can celebrate both ways, except that you need to acknowledge your own mother more than others. Maybe when you
wake up say, “Happy Mother’s Day, Mother’s!” Maybe with a little yawn too. But definitely acknowledge your own mother muchos tiempos, as the Hispanics would say. (For those who love English that means a lot.) And a little comment about that assuming part, I will never forget that lesson or disrespect a Beatles shirt again!






Keep it up!