Friday, May 16, 2008

One of those moments...

Tonight I was sitting watching my children. Madison and Ian were playing some sort of dancing game together while Reagan the 6 month old was rolling back and forth on the floor. I was watching this scene unfold and for some reason I became very emotional. I didn't know why. I had watched this scene unfold many times and knew how it was going to end; usually with Ian crying. But for some reason tonight I was truly touched by the scene.

Then it hit me.

We had the music channels on and had it turned to the 80's channel. Rick Springfield's "Jesse's Girl" was on. For those of you that don't know, this was a very popular song in our high school days. Now it wasn't the song that made me emotional because if you know the song it doesn't invoke that kind of emotion. It brought back memories that induced that kind of emotion.

Music is a huge emotional trigger for me. Any music I hear pretty much takes me right back to where I was when I heard it. Telephone Line by ELO reminds of Chris Salvatori's house in California. The first time I remember hearing that kind of doo-wop in rock and roll form. Reminiscing by Little River Band was on the radio the first day I woke up for school here in Texas. I still get a knot in my gut when I hear that. Saved by Zero by The Fixx reminds of Friday night high school days. Devo, Queen, The Knack, Bourgeouis Tagg, Level 42, Seal. The list is endless. I could go on and on but suffice it to say music is a large part of my life.

Who would have thought when I was in high school pining for Kelly that 23 years later I would be sitting in our home watching our children play? I dreamt of being married to Kelly in high school but had no way of knowing that it would be this wonderful.

Sitting there watching my children and knowing that Kelly and I brought these beautiful little people into the world was an overwhelming sensation. If I've said it once I've said it a million times. Don't exaggerate. No...wait...it's I am truly blessed.

If I had a machine that could have stopped that moment in time, I would have used it. But then again, it's probably a good thing I don't have one because I probably would have used it already.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really touching piece. I also love me some 80’s! But really, it shows the goods in life in this crippled society: Family









Keep it up!