Friday, October 10, 2008

Everyone deserves a good Lance-ing...UPDATED

Another Lance for you enjoyment.

The music this time is from one of my favorite PI shows of all time, Magnum PI. I was going to have you guys guess the music but it's right in the title in the music box so that would be kind of easy. If I can figure out how to change the name or something I have some good ones coming up.

Magnum was...the stud boy. Lived in a mansion in Hawaii, drove a Ferrari, played minor league baseball, carried a gun...I wanted to have his baby. Only later in life did I find out Tom Selleck is a Republican. That pretty much sealed the deal.

This theme song is only one of three I ever pulled out the tape recorder for. I put the black flat-top microphone up against the speaker on the turn-the-knob-to-change-the-channel TV in mom and dad's bedroom, pushed the Rec and Play buttons simultaneously and hoped no one walked in to ruin my recording.

The other two themes were Taxi and Mary Tyler Moore. I loved the part in Taxi at the beginning of the song when the guy hits the top hat, or cymbal for the percussionally challenged, ti-tsssssss boom. He does it right before the whole band kicks in right after the flute solo. Good stuff. I have already regaled you with the Mary Tyler Moore theme once here in blogville. Let me just say the opening BA-NA-NUM cacophony of horns still sends a chill up my spine.

I always liked the Welcome Back Kotter Theme as well. Good guitar riff. 70's folksy sound to which I am partial. The clothes were groovy to. This leads to the inevitable Chico and the Man mention. Good song. Jose Feliciano. Things will be better for Chico and the Man. Indeed.

I could go on but let's get straight to Lance. Please remember these were drawn and written in the 40's so solving a murder with garters is not as crazy as it seems.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Here is what I have to say:

1.have no idea on the Lance thing-y
2.are they really making a Barbie of Sarah Palin?
3.Bingo ROCKS!!!
4.best theme song ever: St. Elsewhere

See you tomorrow!