Thursday, October 16, 2008

Picture Day...

We ordered Madisons school pictures. Her first real set. She had some taken in day school but come on who are we kidding. Kindergarten is when the action really starts. Running from 5th graders, watching for bullies in the bathroom. Slashing the teachers tires. Good times.

With the invent of digital cameras this generation will be the most photographed generation in history. Imagine running for office with this burden. I know there are a few pics out there that would keep me from becoming anything but dog catcher. And that's in the old style film days. These kids will have their pictures from kindergarten to college graduation available at the click of a button. Talk about a permanent record.

When I was very young, I had a crew cut. Just like Johnny Unitas. Now there's a haircut you could set your watch to. Simple. Easy. Just rub some of that goo that came in the red tube on your hair to tame the cow lick and off you went. You know the red goo stick. You pushed it out like a push up ice cream. It wasn't goo though. It was more like wax. Goo makes it sound viscous. If it was anything it wasn't viscous. It was...wax like...waxy...hard as wax...yea...waxy.

As I got older the hair got longer and ultimately made me look like a stoner. One of my pictures, 4th or 5th grade, my tongue was sticking out. Not in the "nyah nyah" fashion but in the "I have ketchup on the side of my mouth which I will try to retrieve with my tongue" fashion. When the picture was taken I knew something was wrong, I just could not put my finger on it. Until the day came when they put the pictures on the front desk and everyone scrounged through everyones pictures to find their own. Of course, they came in the big 8 1/2" x 11" envelopes with the big picture window on the front with your mug staring back at the world. Everyone started laughing. As I approached the desk, I saw my picture complete with tongue out. I think they brought in students and teachers from other classes to laugh at me when my classmates got tired. Well, something like that.

Suffice it to say, a stoner pic with his tongue sticking out is not something easily overcome.

That reminds of another tragic episode in my elementary career. We were having a lesson on the body and it's different types. We were talking about face types. The teacher brought three of us up to the front of the class. I was one of the three. She put ther hand over the first childs head and said what shape is her face. A few people said long some said oval some didn't know what to think. The next student inquiry had the same result. No certainty. No exclamation. Until of course she put her hand over my head and asked what shape my face was. On cue as if they had been practicing for weeks they shouted and I mean shouted to the heavens without any trepidation, "ROUND!". I started to ball. I hope that teacher felt like crap. I know I did.

What was she thinking? Putting a heavy set boy up in front of the class whose corduroy pants were so loud when he walked you could hardly hear yourself think. That's not right! She's like a crazy person!

The high school years? That's another blog altogether.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

who IS that guy? just didn't get it....