Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Can you smell that?...

It smells like a 3 day weekend. I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this weekend. 3 days. No work. No work for 3 days. Yes. I am happy!

It will be an uneventful 3 days for us. Nothing major planned. Thursday night we'll be going to the local fireworks show at the historical park. It's always fun. For a small town, we put on one heck of a show. It always makes you feel patriotic. Everybody wearing red white and blue nothing but good ole American music in the background, anything from Copland to Toby Keith...

which reminds me, that phrase "From this thing to that thing" if used wrong bugs the crap out of me. It is so overused and used incorrectly. Worst. Thing. Ever. The phrase should be used from A to Z or chronologically. How many furniture commercials do you see that say:

"Everything's on sale! Everything must go! From dressers to beds, we've got it all!"? OK. Now. What exactly falls between a dresser and a bed? It certainly can't be by the alphabet. Geographically? There is usually nothing between a dresser and a bed in the bedroom. Don't get me started on the couch. Honestly, how hard could it be to say from the Ar moire to the Wall Clock? (That was the best "w" I could come up with off the top of my head not being a furniture expert.) Everything would pretty much fall in there alphabetically.

The music example I gave above is done chronologically. Copland was considered the dean of American Composers, who coincidentally enough was accused of being a communist, to modern day Toby Keith. There certainly are artists that fall before Copland but none greater on the patriotic scale and no artist can come after Toby Keith because he is still producing music. I know my brother Mike is at this moment trying to cut holes in this line of reasoning which is exactly what I would be doing if he had written this. I don't worry about album release dates that would just be crazy.

Anywho, we always have a good time. We will definitely do some swimming as well. Cook burgers or dogs and have some watermelon and ice cream. Living the American dream.

I am going to go to the fireworks store and pick up some for the backyard. The fourth was something we always looked forward to. All the ladders in the middle of the street with all of the fireworks going off. The big display at the end of the street which came from the military base. It wasn't actually at the end of the street but pretty darn near. I would like my kids to see some fireworks in their house too. I don't need the government to save me from myself. I will water everything down before hand and they will be in the pool watching the show so if a spark lands on their head we can just dunk them.

Not Ian though he screams bloody murder.

No comments: