Thursday, July 24, 2008

A little snippet...

The other day I was out mowing the lawn. As I was getting the hose ready to water I heard something rustling in the jasmine. It was a little turtle. Never missing an opportunity to show the kids some wild life, I picked it up and brought it into the house. Ian went right for it. He was going to touch it. I said, "No. No. No. Ian. We have to be careful." He slunked back and went and sat next to Kelly.

He wouldn't pet the turtle. Only after I brought it back outside did he get the courage to touch it.

I kick myself for stopping him. He was going to touch the turtle with no inhibitions. He wouldn't have hurt the turtle because I was holding it and they have a very hard shell if you didn't know. I feel like I stifled his inquisitiveness, his need to explore, his sense of wonder, his yearning to learn. There is a fine line between being a watchful parent and being a mother hen and I jumped right over it.

I hope I remember this little incident when he wants to explore something else. Keep an eye on him but let him go, dufus.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Maybe you guys should have a household pet........ just an idea.

Mike and Kim said...

Are you the one that is responsible for Ian's SCREAMS when he sees or is around dogs??? Ah John!!!!

Just kidding!!

You should have seen him today when the firetruck went by with sirens and horn going! Poor thing!