Monday, July 14, 2008

Sometimes you just don't know what to write...

I haven't posted since Friday. It seems like forever. I get ideas in my head which I think would make good blog material but then I lose them. I need to start carrying around a little tape recorder to get my thoughts on tape:

"Note to self, buy more toilet paper. Possible blog idea; Does ontogeny recapitulate phylogeny?"

Friday went swimming with the kiddos. Always a fun time. Ian comes out for about 20 minutes then is ready to go back in. Madison would stay out there all day. A true Ariel.

Saturday morning I went on my brother Steve's boat with my sister Katy and my other brother Mike. For the record, I have another brother but he lives in Phoenix and couldn't make it out for the boat-fest. We just sat on the boat and floated and talked. We didn't even get in the water. It was very nice. We spoke of family. Being a parent. Being a son or daughter. Religion. Faith. A very enjoyable way to spend a Saturday morning. We missed you Paul.

I already had my swim suit on so when I got home I went swimming with the kids. Another good time was had by all.

Kelly played at a wedding at 4:00 and was home by 6:00. I had heard a Pei Wei commercial on the radio on the way home from the lake and realized I needed a fix. So Kelly and I packed up the remaining two kids, Madison was at Kelly's parents house to spend the night, and brought them to said parents house and went to Pei Wei. Together. Alone. Sans Kids.

We just sat and talked. We spoke of family. Being a parent...that's pretty much it. We don't have as much in common as we think. I shudder to think what we'll do when the kids are gone.

I'm kidding. I'll be honest sometimes that happens but there was no lull in the conversation this time. Kelly is following politics more and that is always fun to talk about.

After dinner we rented a movie, "Vantage Point". Horrible. Don't bother. Besides the obligatory America is evil schtick apparently our whole presidential secret service detail can be brought down by a few dudes and a chick. As an added bonus we learn that presidential doubles are used all the time. Who knew there were two Bill Clintons out there walking around? Maybe that's why he gets all that...we'll talk about that later.

We also went to Hallmark and picked up a few cards. They had Christmas ornaments out. I usually would be the first to harumph about that but let me set the scene. You walk in from a 100 degree day. You are greeted with a cool enveloping breeze which instantly cools the skin and your attitude. You notice Christmas trees. Not real trees but decorative ones with lovely ornaments. "Let it Snow" is playing on the background. The ornaments were wonderfully brilliantly Christmas. They went from traditional, a mountain scene with working train sets weaving in and out of the tunnels to contemporary, a wooden box with the word "fragile" written on it with a leg lamp inside and a button when pushed plays out the scene:

"Frah-gee-lay. It must be Italian."
"I think that says fragile, honey."

The clerk was somewhat amazed as I spoke right along with the scene. She lost her amazement when I said "dear" and the ornament said "Honey". Chek the movie. It's "dear". Who quality controls these things? Amazing to me something with this glaring an error could get out the door. The one thing they all had in common was high prices. To get the alpine choo-choo scene and the Christmas Story ornament would have been $60. That's not a typo. I almost got them anyway. That AC worked really well.

Went to Starbucks for coffee and my VMF. That's venti moche frapuccino.

Sunday went to Catholic Mass. Hadn't been in a while and it was exactly what I needed. Cameron, Katy''s son and our Godson, received his first communion. He did great.

The receiving of the Eucharist was very moving for me as well. I find it hard to put into words what I felt yesterday but suffice it to say I felt the presence of God with me. Brought me to tears actually.

After church we had a party for Cameron, Tori, Katy's daughter and Jack, Katy's husband. Tori turns 18 today and Jack turned 40. Went swimming again. Had cake and ice cream, pizza the whole nine yards.

The little ones crashed. Kelly went back to church but Madison wanted to stay with me. She usually goes with Kelly on Sunday nights. I took her to the Catholic church with me Sunday morning. She steps one foot in a Catholic church and now doesn't want to go on Sunday nights? Oh boy.

Another great weekend in the land of stunt double presidents.

"Does onotogeny recapitulate phylogeny?" is just a fancy way of phrasing the nature vs nurture debate. I learned that phrase in freshman biology. Stuck with me ever since.

No comments: