Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Had a great 4th...

Friday mom and dad came over. We went swimming and ate some burgers. A very relaxing day. At night, we lit the fireworks I bought. Ian was fine until one of the cones let out a loud whistle. He did not like that too much. So for the remainder of the time he and mommy watched from inside the house. The sun room we have has large windows and a glass door so he got all the effect. Madison loved the sparklers. Ian even came out after the last big cone and watched the sparklers. I hope this becomes a family tradition. I don't see why not.

Saturday was a lazy day. Pretty much sat around and watched movies and swam. Not a bad day.

Sunday was busy. Church first where we sang the Battle Hymn of the Republic. A fantastic song if you're a first tenor. Which I am. All went well except for one crack on the high note which no one heard apparently so don't tell anyone. Next my nephew Isaiah's birthday party. He turned seven. He is quite a basketball player. Most of the pictures Isaiah had a bball in his hand. All of us were there from Kelly's side of the family which doesn't happen very often because Scott works weekends. He works weekdays too. I don't know how he does it. Scott is married to Kerri, Kelly's sister, and Isaiah is their son.

Next we went back to church at 4:30 for mens chorus rehearsal. At 6:00 we had a church picnic in honor of the 4th...on the 6th...it's complicated. The men in the choir sang a few patriotic songs including the Armed Forces medley. Now, the median age of our church is up there. Let's just say there is more blue hair than not. During the medley, the men stood when the song signifying their branch of the service was being sung. Every year I tell myself "Don't cry. Don't cry." But this year was just like all the rest, I looked up from my music and saw the men standing tall and proud, some not even able to stand by their own power but standing nonetheless. It is a very overpowering and humbling experience. This is the Greatest Generation. Right here in our fellowship hall in Farmers Branch TX. Out of a church of about 100 families, I'll bet 40 men stood up during that song. If there is one thing our little church has, it is patriots. It has excellent music as well but that's another blog.

It was a little tougher to get back into the groove this week. I don't know why. The 3 day weekend goes so fast. It's a bummer to go back to the grindstone. I guess I am just waiting for my stocks to come in and then I'll be on easy street. People always tell me that I'd be bored if I didn't work. I can honestly say I would love to find out. But I don't think boredom will be an issue.

God Bless America!

God Bless the military men and women!

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Not just because of the 'Isaiah' reference, but this was a very enjoyable blog! I know exactly what you mean about the men standing up -- I cry every year. What's really neat is to watch them sing along, knowing each and every word. Have a great day and please give the kids a hug for me!!