Monday, September 22, 2008

Another weekend come and gone...

Friday afternoon the joy is so great it's palpable. Work productivity slows to a crawl. Moods are a little lighter. Laughter comes a little easier. Ah, yes. The anticipation of the inevitable weekend. All the hopes and dreams of what a two day vacation from work can hold are bundled up right in front of you on Friday afternoon. The package is so big and bright you can almost touch it. The possibilities are endless. The adventures to be had are numerous. There is nothing like the respite from work we receive every week. It is marvelous, glorious and spectacular. It is promising, exhilarating and welcome. All is right with the world.

"So what did you do this weekend?"

"Nothing."

I have had 2127 weekends on this earth. I hope to have at least that many left. I have had some pretty good weekends. The first one that comes to mind is the one where I promised my life to one special girl. I wonder what ever happened to her. I'm kidding. I'm kidding. Of course I'm talking about my wedding to my beautiful bride. That was a perfect weekend.

The UCLA weekends I have with my brothers are good weekends. We have been to a number of impressive college football venues, Michigan, Notre Dame, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and the Granddaddy of them all the Rose Bowl. The games themselves are just the excuse to get together. I don't remember if it was during the golf or the tailgating or the fellowship at lunch, but somewhere on our last weekend we realized the games were getting in the way of our good time. The fellowship is what we are there for. That's why I am officially proposing this year rather than spending $65 on a game ticket we watch the game at the beautiful log cabin home we have rented in the mountains. I know people will say, "But the whole purpose of the weekends is the game." To that I say, "Nyet." The whole purpose of the weekends is comraderie and fellowship. We can have that in the cold aluminum UW football stadium or in a log cabin nestled in the Cascade mountains among a plethora of pine trees which, while watching the game from our hottub on our big screen TV, will shower us with that one of a kind unmistakable pine tree scent.

But whatever you guys want to do.

I love the weekends. I need to do more to show that but trust me I do. I only have 2000 or so left. I need to start making the most of them. This weekend will be the beginning of...oh yea Uncle Bill is coming in town and there is that thing on TV.

I'll start next weekend.

No comments: