Monday, September 15, 2008

This weekend...

was like opening your favorite cigar case only to watch them all fall out on the floor...in a public restroom. It started with great anticipation but ended sometime Saturday afternoon around 5:00. I think it was when BYU went up 52-0. Yea...that pretty much did it.

Sunday was a beautiful day outside but the events of the day before made it impossible to enjoy. My Bruins went down and went down hard. Oh I went through the motions on Sunday, went to church, chatted with the local religion and gun clingers, watched some football, went back to church for a birthday social, chatted some more about the 4000 year old dinosaurs...side note Matt Damon is simply put a moron...went home and got the kids to bed. All in all a very subdued weekend. Bummer too because it looked nice out there on Sunday.

So there I sit wallowing in my Bruins bitter defeat flicking the channels. Not feeling much of nothing, when the next scene I saw on TV put all of that out of my mind. Jesus had just fallen from the burden of the cross, and Mary had a flash back of when he was a boy and fell. She rushed to him telling him she was there and it would be OK. After initial hesitation, she did the same that day as well. Holding him and re-assuring him everything was going to be alright. Jesus said to her, See Mother, I make all things new.

I began to cry.

Just as I did in the theater when I saw it the first time. The other scene in that movie that always brings a tear is when the guy being crucified next to Jesus asks Jesus to pray for him. Jesus tells him Amen, I say to you. I promise that you will be with me this day in paradise. Could you imagine? The son of God assuring your place in heaven with his own mouth. Indescribable.

After watching The Passion of the Christ, I was able to put things in a little better perspective. I don't know why that movie happened to be on. Luck. Happenstance. Fate. I don't know. All I know is, I'm human.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Amazing movie. Amazing soundtrack too (thanks for the song; never heard it before......do you have the soundtrack? Good??)

Yes, you ARE human. A pretty cool human at that. Have a good night!

Mike and Kim said...

No fate, no happenstance, no luck. Just God talking to you.