Wednesday, September 3, 2008

It's the little things...

Little things happen everyday that make you thank God you're alive.

Whenever Madison and I are swimming we love to play the people game. You start by saying: "This person..." and give a clue so the other person can answer. e.g. This person tried to hurt the Beast? The answer is Gaston of course. Mean rotten ole Gaston. He probably smells like Ian's diapers. She loves that. I am comedy. She is growing up so fast. I hope it's the times in the pool playing the people game that she remembers. I know I will.

Ian is not quite that cerebral. He is more of a demonstrative personality. He loves to sit in my chair and say, "My chair!". To which I respond, "No, that's my chair!" He'll then proceed to laugh so hard he rolls off the chair. Again, pure comedic gold. He loves to "hop on pop". He'll come running from one side and jump on my belly and take a header onto the other side, laughing the whole time. He could literally do this for hours.

This morning I was at the bathroom sink, he came bounding around the corner fork in hand, walked up and gave me a big hug on the leg. He then looked at me and said:

"Daddy, me faht faffle for brehfist."

"You have waffles for breakfast?"

"Yes."

"That's great. Are they yummy?"

"Yes"

pause 2 seconds

Then raising his hand he said:

"Dis my fork."

On that, he ran back to his faffles.

Chompy and I have a special relationship. As long as I keep singing "Lights" by Journey to her I'm good to go. I have been singing that song to her her whole life but I didn't realize that she understood that song until a few days ago. Last week I started up, "When the lights go down in the city..." she turned to look at me and started clapping her hands together. She knew what she was doing. Then in the car the other day, that song came on the radio. I saw her hands go up and start clapping. She turned her head to look at me and smiled. Those are the moments for which you live.

Whether it's the people game or faffles for breakfast or making your daughter happy by singing, I am truly blessed.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Indeed you are. Me too.