Saturday, November 29, 2008

10 Best Minor Characters in Christmas Themed Movies...

10. Santa Claus - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

I hesitated to put him on this list. But I kept coming back to him. Why? He had to be the biggest jerk in any of the Christmas movies sans Mr. Potter. Telling a father he should be ashamed of himself because his son has a glowing red nose? Dissing the elves song. I mean, what's up with that? He is skinny and grumpy. Everything we came not to expect form Santa. I got to hand it to Rudolph's writers, they knew how to throw a wrinkle into a claymation show. By the way, I found this clip after I wrote this description. Classic.

9./8. Heat and Snow Meiser - The Year Without a Santa Claus

The Year Without a Santa Claus was not that great of a special but these tow guys stole the show. I sing these songs to this day. (along with the rest of my siblings)

7. BurgerMeister MeisterBurger - Santa Claus is Coming to Town

How many of you can recite the exact inflection in the Burgermeisters voice when you see the line, "A yoyo?". That's why he is on this list. A classic villain. He doesn't turn good in the end. He remains true to his nasty ways to the end. One of my favorite lines of his is "...and I am certainly not going." Great comedic timing by a claymation figure.

6. Randy - The Christmas Story

Randy played the full emotional gammet. Disgust: "Meatloaf, beatloaf, double meatloaf. I hate meatloaf." Despair: "I can't put my arms down!" Empathy: "Daddy's gonna kill Ralphie!" He had it all. Randy and Ralphie had the textbook brother relationship. They fought, like when Randy tried to sneak in front of Ralph when they were getting dressed and all Randy got for his troubles was a swift kick in the tukus. But Randy was there for Ralph when he needed him. He was the one who picked up Ralphs glasses after the Scott Farkus affair. In this original movie trailer, check out Randy's face when he throws the socks. That innate comedic timing cannot be taught, my friends.

5. Winter Warlock - Santa Claus is Coming to Town.

Here is one villain who changed his stripes. "I am not such a loser after all!" This guy was a big blowhard meanie on the surface, but underneath he was an insecure little child just wanting to be accepted. Besides when he says,"...a chance to be reborn" it still cracks me up.

4. Snoopy - A Charlie Brown Christmas

He can play all the barnyard animals. Even a penguin. What more do you want? When he kisses Lucy and she says she needs some disifectant and iodine and he goes, "Bleah"; Katy and I love that. Madison does now too. I love how he laughs at Charlie Brown or when he boos him when he is announced as the director, "Man's best friend!". Or when he's embarrased after dancing on Schroeders piano and he stops playing. He's got it all.

3. Yukon Cornelius - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

"Nothin'." Need I say more. He was the ultimate friend and protector, "...douse your nose and run like crazy." He was wise in the ways of the wild and it served Hermie and Rudolph well. If they had not run into him, well let's just say the special would have been about 20 minutes long and the Abominable Snowman would have had one good meal. We know he liked Peanut Butter hamhocks and played the guitar. He knew the bumbles weaknesses. And his ultimate quest was for gold...then silver.

2. Clarence - It's a Wonderful Life.

I admit I have a special place in my heart for Clarence. He elped the greatest character in Christmas movie history realize what he had. He did it with class, grace and comedy. Clarence was a man among angels. He has the IQ of a rabbit but the faith of a child. Clarence did God's work right here on earth. Clarence even earned his wings.

1. Linus - A Charlie Brown Christmas.

1 comment:

Mike and Kim said...

This was your best post yet! Tod, Reed, and I loved sitting and reading and watching your top 10...funny we sang along too! Even Tod knew the phrases you referred to!

Excellent!

You do realize we are expecting one awesome post EACH day!

:)