Sunday, November 23, 2008

I have got to be a better...

Christian.

Every year our church has a turkey lunch/potluck lunch on the Sunday before Thanksgiving. We do it for the obvious reasons: to thank God for what we have and to fellowship and the like.

Well, nothing sends people running like free food. They were coming out of the wood work today. Coming in at least 15 minutes late and obviously not familiar with church etiquette. They are all children of God so they are all welcome.

It still bugs me.

I am there every Sunday putting in my time paying my dues. These fly-by-nighters show up one Sunday a week for free food. And because we are in the choir and dilly dally, we are always at the end of line. Needless to say, it was slim pickins by the time we got there. I need to say no one has expressed this concern except for good ole shallow Johnny boy. I don't think anyone would expect anything less.

And ay there's the rub. I should not let them bother me. I should be happy that they are in the house of the Lord, even if it's just for one Sunday. Perhaps they will hear some words that will turn their life around. But somehow I suspect all they are looking for are some brownies...stop it...there I go again.

It's a good thing WWJD stands for What Would Jesus Do and not What Would John Do. We'd have a lot less people at the potluck.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Ok, you really crack me up. And I cannot believe you would suggest that we dilly-dally........us???.....NEVER!!!

Mike and Kim said...

'Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of the least brothers of mine, you did for me.’

Matthew 25:45

This was part of the gospel reading at mass on Sunday. Glad to here the Baptists have submarine attendees too!

Mike and Kim said...

I do teach....and yes, EVEN homonyms!!!

Meant to type HEAR not HERE!

So sorry!
K