Sunday, November 2, 2008

I forgot how much I love...


the smeel of the burnt pumpkin. You know the smell inside the pumpkin while the candle is lit. It is almost a sweet smell. I love that.

Another Halloween come and gone. Loads of booty, but not ill-gotten, ready to be devoured by eager children. Me too. Me too. That's the issue with being a diabetic. You want to just roll around in it like the monacled Monopoly man and his money. But somewhere in the deep recesses of your brain you say to yourself, while moving your hands back and forth in a balancing motion...Hallowwen Candy...walk your daughter down the aisle...Halloween Candy...watch your son graduate from college. And despite how much I try to convince myself, the sugar still enters my system whether someone sees me eat the candy or not. Halloween used to be so joyous. Now it's just cruel.

I don't think the sugarless candy is any better for you. The chemicals they put in that stuff are enough to snuff out Rasputin. I think I would be better off chugging pure cane sugar than eating that stuff.

Oh well, 41 years is a pretty good run.

For dinner on Halloween, we had mummy dogs, fried worms, witches brew beans and pumpkin punch. Is that the cutest thing ever or what? Kelly goes all out and we all love her for that.

I love our house in the Fall. It is always adorned in the fall colors and pumpkins or scarecrows or cornucopias, the horn a' plenty, or any other number of accoutrament that decry Fall. It always smells like fall too. What with the candles and the fires and us feeding the kids pumpkin and spices so their diapers smell like it too.

Halloween marks the beginning of my favorite time of year. I hope I savor it all this year.

No comments: