Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Well, there you go...

I was preparing myself for this but hoped it wouldn't happen. This is of course an historic event in our nation's history. But I'm not talking about what you think I'm talking about. Let me list the ways in no particular order:

1. The Clinton era is over. By the time she can run again, she'll be 70. Unless she was promised a Supreme Court seat for her obedience, she will now just be the junior senator from New York. That's one good thing.

2. No more John McCain, my friends. His time is finally done as well. What he did to Bush these past 8 years was nothing short of criminal. It's what a 5 year old does when he doesn't get his way. He pouts and whines. He took every opportunity he could to stick in Bush's eye because of his defeat in 2000. At least now he can go back to being the senior senator from Arizona and try to stop us from spending too much. Good luck with that.

3. The race debate has just had quite the paradigm shift. Are the Jesse Jacksons and Al Sharptons of the world going to be able to make a living anymore? If anyone cries racism or oppression all we have to do is point them to the White House. If this country is so inherently racist, Oprah, Charles Barkley, Whoopi, Danny Glover, et al, how could a black man have possibly been elected President? Who will the African American community blame for their plight now?

4. This country has proven it has the attention span of Boo Radley. We, no they, just elected a guy to the most powerful job on the face of the planet whose only job has been a south Chicago community organizer. And nobody is exactly clear on what they do. You see I don't consider being a senator a job. Senators are never held accountable. Even for the votes they cast. There is way too much wiggle room.

5. Another paradigm shift. I'm off to the mall to sell razor blades so people can scrape off their “Question Authority” bumper stickers. Just remember: Dissent is still the highest form of patriotism. Except now it will be practiced by the lowest form of people.

6. It will be interesting to see how the entertainment industry adapts. They are not going to have us to push around anymore. Will they make fun of Obama like they mercilessly have Bush and Cheney and McCain and Palin? I'm guessing they'll pick on Biden. Then man is a walking gaffe machine. The only reason he opens his mouth is to change feet. It will be pure coincidence that they waited until after the election to pick up on that.

Seriously, though: congratulations to President-elect Obama. Right or wrong, and I hope for more of the former, obviously, he’s my President now, gal-darnit, and I’m not going to spend four years treating him with the contempt the Kos side heaped on Chimpy McPretzelchoker. He could turn out to be a horrible President. He could turn out to be a great one. History pushes people in unexpected directions.

I just hope this isn't a "Wil-e coyote finally catches the road-runner moment". In the cartoon, he finally catches the road runner turns to the camera and thinks, "Now what?".

All those clamoring for hope and change, "Now what?"

3 comments:

Kar said...

Came home at my first chance to read your "take." I knew you would be a voice of reason and say everything I needed to organize in my mind how we digest and move on. Bottom line, it is done and he is our President. I just shake my head at all who call us racists....it is actually their fear of having lost that "playing card" that perpetuates it!! Well said my friend! Can't wait to have Jay read. He needs consoling...

Kerri said...

In the words of Twila Paris........

"God is in control...we believe that His people will not be forsaken......"

I'm holding on to these words TIGHT.

Rick J. said...

Systemic Racisism no longer exists! Mr. Sharpton and Mr. Jackson will soon benefit from the new President-elect's extension of unemployment insurance. The tears running down the face of Rev. Jackson at the post election rally were tears of pending unemployment. The good Rev should pray for a Reagan not a Carter.