Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Eight Years Ago Today...

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featur'd like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.


It doesn't seem like 8 years ago I said those words to you on our wedding day. Probably because I still remember them by heart. Time sure flies when you're having fun.

These past eight years have been the best of my life. I cannot wait to see what the rest of our days together have to offer. You have made me a much better man than I thought I could ever be. I have learned how to be humble, how to show compassion, how to be strong, how to be less self-serving, how to be more loving, how to be more open-minded, how to be more caring, how to help others, how to appreciate life. I am by no means proficient at any of these things but with your help and guidance at least now these things can sometimes define me. Whereas before you, not so much.

A lot has changed in 8 years. Most significantly, the size of our family. The children are so blessed to have you as their mommy. You truly have the gift. You can see it in their smiling faces everyday. They are happy. What else to life is there at their age than happiness. You gave up your career, for now, so that you could share yourself with our children which I believe is the foundation of their happiness. I know I've told you this before but your being home is the greatest thing to happen to this family. Not only for them but for me too.

I could not have asked for a better companion. Sure we have our disagreements. Heck, we even have our fights but at the end of the day I thank God for you and what you have done for and meant to me. My life before us was simply prologue to what we have now. My life during us is something I cannot express. Pure joy. Absolute fun. Straight talk. Strong spirits.

True Love.

How many men do you know have their childhood fantasies come true? I met you when I was 13 years old. It only took 19 years to get you to the altar. If there is one thing they can say about me, it is that I am persistent. I still remember what you wore on our first date to homecoming in 1982. I remember what you were wearing when I saw you in Jojo's. I remember the long hug after I told you I loved you. I remember the unadulterated relief when you told me the same thing. I remember the night you said yes. Man was I nervous. I remember the way you looked as the doors of our little church swung open and I saw you in your wedding gown for the first time. The portrait of you in your wedding gown is the most beautiful one I have ever seen. I literally have just stared at that picture and wondered how I could get so lucky.

I still smell your pillow. I love that smell. I still watch you walk away, O.B.. I still love your feet. (And as you know that's huge.)

You are the cornerstone, keystone, balance, center of this family. You keep us grounded. You keep us spiritual. You keep us happy.

I love you, Kelly. I love you.

1 comment:

Mike and Kim said...

As Tod would and used to say, "Happy Get Married Day!" So hard to believe that it has been EIGHT years...just seems like yesterday that I witnessed God's joining you two. What an incredible wedding. Even more special to us, though, is your marriage. Thanks for sharing it with us and for allowing God to shine through it. I, too, have my never forgets with you two...most romantic and compassionate were the dozen roses...half red/half yellow...with the note that said, "You choose." Awww!

Happy 8th Anniversary! We love you five!