Monday, June 23, 2008

Today's the day...

Yesterday there was a horrible wreck in Plano. A family of 5 on their way home from church was hit by a guy who ran the red light. All 5 were killed.

Just like that.

In as much time as it took me to write that sentence, 5 lives had been snuffed out. Gone.

Forever.

The driver of the car who ran the red light is in critical condition in the hospital. I don't know what my feelings are about him. Should he die to pay for his actions. Or should he live to pay for his actions. I don't know what thinking about killing 5 people for the rest of my life would do to me. But I can't imagine it would be very pretty. I guess that's why God handles the big stuff. He will do a better job of it than I would have anyway.

The one thing it does make me think of is how precious life is. How fleeting. How fragile. But just to add the dichotomy life is also vibrant and resilient and strong.

How can that be? How can one thing have so many differing qualities?

Precious? Look at the pictures of your new born babies again. That my friends is precious.

Fleeting? Fragile? I think about the miscarriages. God knew who they were before they were born. They were human. They were alive. They are our children.

Vibrant? Resilient Strong? The 28 of us have been through some difficult situations yet here we are. Somewhat battered and bruised but still here for one another.

Just like that.

I love you guys.

Forever.

1 comment:

Mike and Kim said...

We love you too.

I wouldn't want to ever wake up if I were that guy. Can't BEGIN to imagine what it would be like to learn (1) you ARE alive...and try to remember what happened in the first place, and (2) that you killed an entire family "hurrying" through a light.

Makes me feel sick!