Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A night out...

Kelly and I went to a wonderful dance performance last night. It was quite eclectic in its interpretation. While mostly classical ballet, it had brilliant moments of modern dance, tap, some jazz-ish infusion and there was definitely a latin overtone that could be seen in the flashes of the Rumba, Mambo, Salsa and Cha-Cha.

I think the most striking aspect of the performance was the stark contrast of the two performers. One had grace and elegance, performing arabesques', jete's, plie's and soubresauts to rival the masters. She clearly had studied at the finest schools and it showed. She was refinement personified. At the end of the performance she asked the audience to name a ballet move and she would then perform it for us. It was quite helpful to us novices who did not know the vernacular.

The other performer had what can only be described as a raw energy. His moves were sudden and purposeful. Forceful. He commanded the stage when he danced. One particular move was quite unique; he would, during the course of his performance, fall to the ground at no pre-determined point and get right back up and continue his dance. It was very exciting to watch his interpretation of the music and watch how it took him places I wish I could go.

The music was mostly Vivaldi, Bach and Beethoven. The biggies. Yes. All in all it was one of the most enjoyable evenings I have ever spent. Spending time with my beautiful bride while watching two of the greatest dancers I have ever seen display their talents. If they ever come to your town be sure to make a date to see them.

Their names?

Madison and Ian Pfaffenberger.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

WOW!! I will be contacting Ticketmaster today.... tickets to these guys are sure to be sold out fast!

Mike and Kim said...

You had me spell bound. I was really impressed with your knowledge of ballet! And then it almost made me cry when I read your precious kiddos names.

Great post!

Kim