Monday, June 30, 2008

Ethics Schmethics and other stuff...

When the Fourth’s on a Friday, American productivity probably slumps 22% by Thursday. Nothing like a front-loaded three-day weekend to make people itchy for freedom on Wednesday afternoon. Already the detonations are going off in my neighborhood – people cannot wait to BLOW STUFF UP.

Which of course leads us right into...

Ethics. Talk about a relative subject.

I had a conversation with a fellow employee about business ethics the other day. The conversation wasn't about ethics per se but it turned out that way. She was concerned about an individual in our company who she claimed was being unethical. I mean she was really peeved. Called him a shyster and said the best thing for this company would be for him to leave. I don't know all of the facts in this situation so I will reserve judgment. She knew as much as I did but had no reservations in condemning this guy to business Siberia.

The problem I had with this was this is the same woman who parks in handicapped parking places because "She'll just be a minute." She takes 2 hour lunches to go shopping. She has phantom Dr.s appointments to go home early. I could go on but you get the point.

What is it about ethics? I am not prepared to get into a philosophical debate about Socrates vs Aristotle and their differences as it pertains to applied ethics. I am not prepared mentally or physically. I'm pooped. It's just that you would think someone that can jump to an ethical conclusion that quickly would see the unethical manner in which they conduct their own lives. I'm no saint by any means. Kelly is though. So, I don't have much room to talk but I can assure you I've never parked in a handicapped space, never made up excuses to leave work early and never taken a 2 hour...well, I've never done the first one anyway.

No comments: