Wednesday, June 18, 2008

In case you were wondering...

Kelly and I had a great time on our anniversary.

As I walked in the door, I expected to hear the happy cries of my children, "Daddy!"...Nothing...Hmm?..."Honey?" There she was sitting in the sunroom reading and waiting for me sans kids. What a treat. Now anyone who has kids knows exactly how I felt. I love my kids more than life itself. In fact, I know I was put on this earth to be a father. That is my mission. My passion. But to have the little rug rats at the grandparents house for a few hours was exactly what I was hoping for.

Kelly looked beautiful as always. In fact she looked a little more rested than usual.

"I took the kids over at 1:00."

Well, that explains that.

She had a wonderful dinner planned, shrimp, blue cheese wedge, assorted hord...ordurv...horsd...appetizers and cheesecake bites for dessert. It all sounded wonderful. One problem. The electricity had been out since 11:00. So, we hopped in the car and drove to Chili's. By the time we got back home the electricity was on.

I hopped in the pool and smoked a cigar. Interesting note, the pool temp was 86 while the air temp was 85. Neato. The time was spent surveying my castle and enjoying a good stogie.

With time to kill before we had to pick up the kids we decided to do what any couple would do on their anniversary with no kids around...watch the John Adams mini-series she gave me as a gift...What?

The eighth anniversary is the bronze anniversary so I gave her a bronze wind chime. It is also kind of the step child of anniversaries. I think they went through all of the anniversaries from 1 to 75 and assigned them gifts, linen, paper, wood, gold, diamonds etc. When they were all done someone said:

"Aww crap. We forgot about 8."
"Let's make it pottery."
"But 9 is pottery."
"Then let's make it pottery and...bronze. Yea bronze."

Regardless, the stepchild anniversary or not, I was able to spend it with the most beautiful woman in the world. Just the two of us.

These are the days that remind you to live and love.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY YOU GUYS!!! We love you very much. Thanks so much for allowing us to be a part of these past 8 years -- your love for each other is very inspiring. (john, i let scott read your "anniversary blog"...i love him, but he sure could learn a lot from your beautiful and touching words...way to talk to the wife!) We also had a blast with the kids!!! Ian ate all night long, Madison read us about 10 books, and Reagan just smiled and made my heart melt. See you soon!