Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The times they are-a-changin'...

Three graduations this year. One niece, one nephew and one daughter of a cousin. I'm not sure what that makes her. A second cousin I think.

Strange how a milestone in one person's life can mean so much to someone else but for very different reasons. I am very proud of my niece and nephew and second cousin(?). Graduating from high school is a big step. You are well on your way to becoming an adult. As long as you don't do what I did. You're looking at about a 10 year detour if so.

I think back to that time in my life and the issues of the day. Would the girl I was dating at the time and I survive a year of long distance? Irving to Denton was Irving to Hong Kong as far as I was concerned. Would I meet any friends at North Texas State? That is what it was called before they changed their name to UNT. I am glad they didn't rename the radio station too. Turns out there wasn't really anytime to meet anyone. I transferred to UT Arlington after my first semester. Besides now, those were the best 7 years of my life. From what I can remember. Just kidding. It took me the requisite 4 years. I do know I had a blast and formed friendships that I still have today, 20 years later.

The one thing that stands out in my mind was the day I moved out of the house. I pulled away in my white Toyota truck and dad was standing on the sidewalk waving goodbye to me. I can see it like it was yesterday. I pulled around the corner and cried like a baby until about Lake Lewisville. I was scared. I was alone. I was starting a new life. But the image of my dad, standing there waving goodbye with a look of sadness knowing another one of his sons was leaving home but also with tremendous pride knowing another one of his sons was leaving home, got me through that drive and that semester and those college years.

Luckily, there is no reason to ask him if I have made him proud. He tells me all the time.

No comments: